Factors Impacting Tiering Matrix (Download this PowerPoint)
1. Grade level and subject:
3. Key concept, objective, or generalization:
4. What is essential to
5. Prior Knowledge Necessary
6. Determine which area you will tier.
- Content (what you want the students to learn)
- Process (the way students make sense out of the content)
- Product (the outcome at the end of a lesson, lesson set, or unit–often a project)
7. Determine the type of tiering you will do: readiness, interest, or learning profile.
- Readiness is based on the ability levels of the students.
- Interest is based on their interest in a topic
- Learning profile using Gardner’s Multiple Intelligences.
Based on the above decisions, determine how many tiers you will need and develop the tiers.
Student-Tested, Student-Centered, Energizing, Hands On, Research Based